So this Bacon and Mushroom Risotto is one of our favourite dinners. The recipe comes from my Brother-in-Law’s, Sister-in-Law’s friend (seriously). Its made its way into our house and features pretty much on a weekly basis.
Ingredients – makes 2 (big) portions
- 6 bacon medallions cut into small pieces.
- 10-12 white mushrooms and 4-6 large chestnut mushrooms, washed and sliced.
- 1 large red onion finely diced.
- 1 tsp “lazy” garlic.
- 200g Arborio rice.
- 1 litre of stock
- 10g grated parmesan
- Heat some spray oil in a large pan on a med-high heat and add the bacon, cook for 2-3 minutes then add the onion & garlic.
- Cook until the onions have softened then add the mushrooms and season with salt & black pepper.
- Cook for a further 8-10 mins until the mushrooms have softened and the bacon is cooked.
- Add the rice, stir in, and 200 – 250ml of stock.
- Reduce the heat slightly and stir well. Continue to stir regularly and when the mixture thickens add a further 200-250ml of stock.
- Continue this until you have used all the stock. Continue to stir regularly until the mix thickens for a final time. It should have a creamy consistency and the rice plump and cooked.
- Serve the risotto topped with the grated parmesan (we also had some roasted plum tomatoes).