Eton Mess is traditionally a simple to make, throw-together dessert and this one is no different. There’s loads of fruit, a bit of brandy for extra indulgence and it’s ready in minutes.
Ingredients (makes 4)
- 8-10 large fresh strawberries washed and cut into small chunks.
- 500ml double cream.
- A handful of frozen mixed berries, thawed.
- A handful of pomegranate seeds.
- 1 tbsp sugar.
- 4 meringue nests smashed into mixed-size pieces.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- 35ml good brandy (I used Hennessy)
- Place the strawberries, mixed berries and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl, sprinkle over the sugar and combine everything mixing well then leave to one side.
- Place the double cream in a separate bowl, add the vanilla extract & brandy and whisk until soft peaks form when you remove the whisk from the bowl. Take care, not to over whisk.
- Add the meringue to the brandy cream mix and stir in. Keep a little for finishing.
- Add the fruit mix next, again, leaving aside some for topping.
- Mix everything well and then spoon into large glasses, getting as even a mix of fruit meringue & cream as possible.
- Top with crushed meringue & more of the fruit.
- Serve with a big spoon and enjoy.