Right, so a wee recipe for you, perfect for the cold weather but a hearty feed at any time. This is my twist on a potato & leek soup with a couple of added extras to give it a bit of zing.
This recipe uses some gorgeous Abernethy smoked butter and Cashel blue cheese to give a really rich flavour, plus it’s super simple to make.
- Tbsp olive oil
- 55g Abernethy smoked butter
- 4 large leeks washed & finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks washed & finely chopped
- 1 Litre vegetable stock
- 2 small or 1 large baking potato washed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 100ml of single cream
- 80g Cashel Blue cheese
- sea salt & ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted add the leeks and celery and cook for 4-6 mins until leeks have softened.
- Add the potato and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Put the lid on and cook for 30 mins.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool for 5 mins or so.
- Blend the soup until smooth. You can either use a hand blender and do this directly in the pan or blend in batches in a food processor.
- Add the cream and the crumbled up Cashel blue (keep a little cheese for serving) and blend again.
- Try the soup and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with a pinch of some dried or fresh herbs (I used dried parsley), the rest of the cheese, and some freshly baked bread with more smoked butter! (I had Mediterranean bloomer from Tesco).